11.24.2006

My Black Friday morning

I've been planning on going to my local GameStop all week to pick up a Wii and when I heard on the Amazon.com message boards that GS wasn't selling them until Black Friday (BF) I decided to just wait and get up early.


So, this morning I awoke at 5 AM to get to our mall store, which was opening at 6 AM. I drug my sister along -- after agreeing to buy her breakfast once we were done -- and got in line outside of the mall GS around 5:20. There were about 5 people in front of us so I was happy. After all, GS had already gotten a shipment in that week and was holding back to sell it today, they must have at least 10 I thought. *rolls eyes*. Well, the door was rolled up and soon we were all in line and the registers were ringing and people were talking. We hadn't moved up but about 3 people and we heard, "I'd like a Wii." "We just sold out." Everyone busted out talking. How could they be out when they only sold 3?


As I was walking out of the mall I told my sister we would try the GS in the Target shopping center nearby, as they weren't opening until 7 AM. So we rode over there -- in surprising light traffic -- and got in line around 6:30 AM. We got to talking with the couple in front of us about Toys 'R' Us and how they had gotten there at 3 AM and there was a line wrapped around the building, and went on to other subjects such as how Circuit City has the best Extended Warranty. It felt like no time and we were waking into yet another GS. The line went crazy as soon as we walked in and people were all over the place. Two lines formed somehow and there were about 5 people in front of me again. This time I was going to cont how many Wii there were. The line was moving slowly as the GS employees tried to push warranties, add-on sales, and anything else they could at the restless customers. People behind me were starting to talk loud about how they should just let them buy what they came in for and forget all the extra stuff.


A little off subject, there was this one kid at the GS who was like second in line but he was waiting for his mom to get there with money and he waited forever. I'm sure that one of the employees put his to the side until his mom got there, but I was really afraid he wasn't going to get one. I'm sure he would have been real mad if his mom didn't show up and they sold out. But back to my story...


I was the next person in line and then I noticed the manager climbing up on the counter behind the registers. "I no...," I thought, I knew what was coming, and sure enough he stood up and said that if anyone was waiting for a Wii he was all sold out; I had counted 6 sold. About half of both of the lines walked out of the store.


So, apparently, even after not selling any Wii all week and making a HUGE fuss over buying a Wii on BF, the stores still didn't put out like people thought they would. Why would as big a chain as GameStop not stock more than 3-6 Wii on the biggest selling day of the year?

No comments: