11.24.2006

A night to Wiimember

After not getting a Wii this morning and coming home and sleeping for a few more hours, I called a friend to see if a couple of us guys could hang out and sure enough, around 7 PM we were all over at a friend's house playing his Wii. Now this was the first time I'd ever played one, and for all my wanting one, I can now say that I REALLY want one now. Never in my life have a played with a gaming console that so involves you in the games that you sweat in more places than your hands. Nintendo made this to get people off the couch and into the game, and they did an awesome job of it.


We started the night off by making Miis for people who hadn't played on the box yet. That was a lot of fun with other people telling you how you look. I don't really think mine looked like me, but everyone else said it did... probably needed a bit more tweaking over time. After that we all did the test which involved basically doing a quick round of tennis, bowling and baseball to see how well you perform. They rank you by age and I was ranked at 76 (I'm 22) -- that's pretty bad. After that we all played a game of bowling together, a game which I am terrible at, and then went to baseball. Baseball was interesting. With a new way to play games (especially with a revolutionary controller design as the Wii-mote) things seem to go differently. People seem to blunder through things and you have to get used to more -- or fewer -- buttons, or different button placement, but with the Wii-mote you pick it up and it seems like you just instinctively know what to do with it.


When we played baseball the batter... well... he swings. What more would you do? The pitcher throws. It's that simple. Of course, when you are the pitcher you can change the way you throw, and press different buttons, and the ball does other things, but to simply pitch, you just make a throwing motion. When we played the bowling game, you hold the Wii-mote in front of you and then you swing back and swing forward, just like in bowling, letting go at the optimal time and swinging with force enough to get the ball down the alley.


After many frames of bowling and innings and innings of baseball, everyone was pretty tired. So I decided to try the boxing game, much to the delight and amusement of everyone else (I'm sure, as I'm writing this, there is a video of me boxing somewhere on the internet). The boxing game was the most fun out of the ones I played, just because it made you feel like you were really in it. You had to swing a certain way to land a punch, but once you got the hang of it, it was easy to land some great hits. I played two matches, didn't get a K.O. but I did win by the judges vote both times.


Now I can't wait to get my Wii, both for the chance to play all those games at home, and also to be able to whoop my friends next time I'm over.

No comments: